Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wear a Helmet

photo: Alice Teoh, Creative Commons

I think this could be the Inconvenient Truth of the Day (ITOTD)--wear a helmet! Yes, it's pretty obvious but I thought that I would use this opportunity to remind you of this inconvenient truth--if you don't wear a helmet, you could seriously injure yourself.

Living in Los Angeles, there are actually lots of people on bikes (yes, some people actually have the nerve to get out of their cars here) but many of them sadly think they look cool with their hair blowing in the wind as they cruise along. I bike but I don't really care about my hair and would prefer a helmet head to a smushed head. Case study: while mountain biking in the Santa Monica mountains on Sunday with my friend, Dave, I took a big fall. Actually, the biggest crash in the nine years that I've been mountain biking. As I leaned into a curve on a loose downhill, my bike slid out from under me and I found myself splayed across the trail covered in dirt and blood.

My head took a huge hit but was fortunately fine because I was wearing a helmet. So, I don't want to be everyone's Jewish mother, but I would have been in much worse shape if I hadn't protected my head. Plenty of professional riders have died in crashes because they weren't wearing helmets. If you crash, I also highly suggest you get a new helmet afterward because the strength of your helmet is compromised after a crash.

Happy (safe) cycling!

photo: Alice Teoh, Creative Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment